How to get iid of Mushrooms in my Lawn?

How do I get rid of mushrooms in my lawn? My grass is real pretty except for the ugly patches of mushrooms that started growing. Where did they come from? I am also worried that my dog might eat them and get sick.

Mushrooms are the fruiting bodies (reproductive structures) of fungus living in your soil. They occur naturally and are harmless to your grass, flowers, and trees...they just look ugly.

Most fungi living in your lawn is beneficial, they are breaking down rotting wood, old tree roots, buried stumps or leaves. Their job is to decompose organic matter in the soil releasing nutrients for your grass to use. Some, called mycorrhizae, actually form a mutually beneficial (symbiotic) relationship with plant roots by increasing water and nutrient uptake.

The only way to get rid of them is to remove the food source. This could be as simple as digging up a piece of buried construction debris or waiting for an old stump to decompose.

The best way to keep them away from pets or kids is to mow, pick or rake them up.

DO NOT eat wild mushrooms found in your yard! They are poisonous and will kill you or make you sick. Only an expert with plenty of experience can identify edible mushrooms.

DO NOT Use chemicals to control mushrooms! They will not work! There are no fungicides labeled for mushrooms and it is against the law to use pesticides in a manner not on the label.

Search our Answer's Database:

Ask your own Question:

We will try to get back to you as soon as possible. Once we provide the answer, we will also post it on the site so that others may read the answer as well!